Sunday, February 28, 2010

Veggie Noodle Bowl

My house was void of many essential items so Patrick and I headed to the grocery store first thing this morning. Nothing to exciting was purchased but I did discover my local grocery is now carrying Chobani yogurt!

Once we were home I put away all the groceries while Patrick took out the recycling. We both pick up around the condo a bit before we settled on the couch to watch the Gold medal hockey game. I'm bummed the US didn't win but it was a great game to watch! I bet the Canadian guys at Hugo's were extremely happy with the outcome!

Dinner tonight was something I've never made before. A veggie noodle bowl that both my husband and I really liked. This recipe can be changed up depending on what types of veggies and spices you add to the mix. I tried to use up the veggies that were looking kind of sad in my fridge.

Here is a look at the final product:


Ingredients:

  • Sesame oil
  • Garlic, minced
  • Mushrooms, sliced
  • Carrots, sliced
  • Orange pepper, sliced
  • Celery, sliced
  • Broccoli, cut
  • Cauliflower, cut
  • Frozen snow peas
  • Chili powder
  • Cayenne pepper
  • Pepper flakes
  • 2 tbs. brown sugar
  • 4 cups chicken broth
  • 4 tbs. soy sauce
  • 12 oz. fettuccine

1. In a wok (or large skillet), heat 1 tbs. sesame oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and stir for 1 minute. Add all vegetables except snow peas and cook for 4-5 minutes. Add chili powder, cayenne pepper, pepper flakes and brown sugar, stir until evenly mixed.

2. Add 1 cup water, chicken broth and soy sauce. Bring to a boil then lower the heat and simmer 25 minutes.



3. Add in snow peas and continue simmering 5 minutes.


4. While the veggies are cooking, cook fettuccine in separate pan according to package directions. Place serving of fettuccine in bowl and top with the hot broth and vegetables.



This was a fantastic meal and I would like to thank the blog Simply Life for providing me with the idea!

While I was busy cooking my husband made me a cocktail. Malibu rum + fruit punch:


Once dinner was eaten and the kitchen cleaned up we settled down and watched a movie, The Invention of Lying. The movie had funny parts but all around it wasn't one of my favorites.

This little guy decided to take a nap during the movie. Guess it didn't hold his interest!


Well, I'm going to follow his lead and get some shut eye.

Blog at ya later!

8 comments:

  1. doesn't simply life have the best eats? your veggie noodle bowl looks delicious! adorable pup btw

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, your pup is adorable! I was also disappointed that USA didn't win the hockey game. What a way to end the Olympics, right?
    That fettuccine looks delicious. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, what a great way to use up veggies in the fridge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh girl, that cocktail sounds like perfection right about now! all we need is a beach and an umbrella :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. that cocktail looks SO pretty, by the way. the veggie bowl sounds great too, bookmarking this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great way to use up veggies to make a nutrient-packed meal :) Looks tasty! Your dog is so cute all cuddled up in the blanket!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The hockey game was great. I can't believe the US tied it up at the very end. but Canada played a good game and deserved the win.

    That noodle bowl looks delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete