Saturday, February 27, 2010

Chicago Restaurant Week: Hugo's Frog Bar / Friday Eats

For some reason I was starving Friday morning. I ate dinner Thursday night and was well hydrated so I have no idea why I was so hungry.

Breakfast

1/2 a piece of french toast, plain:


Slice of sausage and cheese quiche with hot sauce:


And, a cup of coffee/hot cocoa:


Lunch

I was actually shocked that I forgot all about lunch. I didn't realize I forgot to eat until after my workout. I couldn't understand why I had a headache and felt light headed after my run. I think the no food + run pretty much explains those symptoms.

Snack

Spicy beef jerky:


Dinner

My husband and I had our last restaurant week meal planned at Hugo's Frog Bar & Fish House. I had never been to this restaurant but heard ton's of good things about it. We arrived on time for our 8:00 PM reservation, only to have to wait 45 minutes for our table. Needless to say I wasn't to happy about the wait but thankfully we were seated at a very nice table so that cheered me up a bit. I can understand a 5 to 10 minute wait, when reservations are made, but anything over that is ridiculous!

Once seated I ordered a much needed drink. A split of White Star champagne:


My first course was a salad with a fantastic vinaigrette. I was so excited by my leafy greens that I didn't even attempt to take a picture. Oh well, I'm sure it won't be the last time I eat a salad.

Second course was a petite fillet with broccoli on the side:


I ate about 3/4 of the steak and brought the leftovers home to the dogs. They LOVED it!

Asparagus with butter on the side was ordered for the two of us to share:


The table next to us was very entertaining. The entire table was filled with people from Canada. They were very proud of country and broke out in the national anthem more times than I can count. I will admit it was a little odd to hear a bunch of grown men break out in song (a lot) in a nice restaurant. They were passing around a hockey jersey, allowing the men at the table to try it on. And, as pictured below, waving a flag around the restaurant:


They were having a ton of fun! Which is what everyone should be doing on a Friday night:)

I was really looking forward to the Key Lime pie being offered for dessert. Unfortunately, it was sold out by the time we were ordering dessert. So, we ordered this HUGE ice cream concoction:


I think this thing weighed about 2 pounds! I had a small piece and was done.

Cocktails

After dinner we stopped at Luxbar which is across the street from Hugo's. We grabbed a table situated in front of a television so we could watch the end of the hockey game. This was a nice bar with a fun cocktail list!

I ended up ordering a lemonhead martini. It tasted like a traditional lemon drop martini but had crushed lemonhead candies around the rim.



The rim was a fun touch and the best part of the cocktail!

Question:

Have you ever had a strange experience while at a nice restaurant?

I will say it was strange to have grown men break out in song. However, one of the strangest experiences was eating on the dining patio one Thursday night. We were enjoying our dinner when all of a sudden a guy dances into the middle of the intersection (in Chicago) and starts doing headstands! I couldn't believe it. Oddly enough the singing and headstands happened less than a block from each other:)

No comments:

Post a Comment