Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Brat's, Wine, Steak, Bloggers and Football!

Most people believe the weekend starts on Friday but last weekend mine started on Thursday.

After work Patrick met me at the Berghoff Oktoberfest to grab some tasty food and listen to the band, Sixteen Candles. As you can tell by the name they are an 80's cover band. It was great to hear the 80's tunes again:


The menu:


I opted for the Bratwurst with Kraut and old style mustard:


I'm not a big fan of bratwurst but this was good. Probably because it had a ton of kraut, love the kraut!

Oktoberfest is usually a big beer drinking event. I sorta took part. I had a rootbeer:


Friday night I went to the South Loop Wine Cellar:


They have wine tastings every Friday and the cost is only $5 (unless otherwise specified):


The decor inside the shop is so cool. Exposed brick walls, wine barrel details and lots of happy people sipping away at some delicious wine!



This tasting was all about Italian wines. I loved that the owner hung up pictures of Italy for the event:


I tasted 5 different wines which all cost under $20 a bottle:


Amy Garman, the owner, is very knowledgeable about all things wine. She was very helpful when it came time to buying a bottle (or three;))


Tasted some white wine:


and some red wine:


Yum!


After all the wine we needed to get some food in our stomachs so we stopped at The Chicago Firehouse:


I started with a bowl of Sweet Potato Soup. My first ever sweet potato to pass my lips.


P and I split the Garlic Whipped Potatoes:


and the Macaroni and Cheese:


My entree was the Filet Mignon with a blackened crust:


Verdict: The food was good. Nothing spectacular but my taste buds were happy. The service was fantastic! Our waiter was very personable and he made sure we had everything we needed.

Saturday at 11:00 am I met up with 6 other ladies for the Chicago Blogger Brunch at Yolk. Yolk is a very popular place to brunch it up in Chicago. They are known for their creative twists on traditional breakfast dishes.



Once the food was delivered to our table the blogger photo shoot began. I have many reason why I enjoy dining with food bloggers and one of them is the fact that I will never be the only one taking photos of my meal;)



Everything on the menu looked fantastic but I was able to narrow it down to the perfect dish. Bacon Waffle & Eggs - Crisp bacon mixed throughout the batter and topped with 2 eggs:


Great food with a great group of bloggers!


Back Row L-R: Me, Kelly (blog reader!), Megan and Amy
Front Row L-R: Katie, Katie and Heba
(thanks Amy for the photo)

After leaving Yolk I headed home to watch some Nebraska football. Unfortunately the game was not on TV in Chicago (boo!!!) so I got creative and watched the game on my laptop:)



The boys aren't so interested in football. They would much rather cuddle and sleep.



And give me dirty looks when I jump up to celebrate a touchdown! Go Huskers!!!



I woke up on Sunday to find an entire box of ear plugs gone. The little tan guy (above) decided to make a midnight snack out of them.



Let's just say, walking the dog later in the day wasn't the most pleasant experience.

Project Food Blog

Thanks to everyone who voted for me, it really does mean a lot to me!

Voting ends Thursday, September 23. For those of you who would like to check out my post submission click here!

Question:

Have you ever been to a blogger meet-up?


5 comments:

  1. Too funny- I'm going to see 16 Candles this weekend! Actually, I'm really going to see the band that's opening for them (Rod Tuffcurls and The Benchpress) because I'm slightly obsessed, but am excited about both!

    Can't wait to meet up again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never been to a blogger meet-up, but I've always wanted to go to one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that waffle sounds amazing! i've never been to a blogger meet up, but it seems like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For some reason (not sure if it is because I'm 100% German or not) my family and I ALWAYS went to Bergoff whenever visiting Chicago!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy - How fun! I thought 16 Candles was really fun. They sounded good and they seemed like they had a lot of energy. Have fun this weekend!

    Emily - Bergoff has been around for so long. I think a lot of people make it a "must stop" when traveling to Chicago. I'm part German and I think that does have a little something to do with why I like the place:)

    ReplyDelete