Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Under-the-Weather Comfort Food

The last week has been a rough one for me. I've been working like crazy and sick as a dog. I have this cough that just won't stop no matter how many Halls I suck!

I was very happy to see that a childhood favorite dinner was on the schedule for Monday night. Not just a favorite dish but the dish that my mom would make when I was feeling under the weather.

Mrs. Grass Soup with Homemade Dumplings

Dumpling Ingredients
  • 1 cup flour
  • 3 eggs
  • Salt and pepper to taste
Start by beating the eggs and seasoning:


Add flour to egg mixture:



Drop teaspoon amounts of mixture into boiling water. Remove when dumplings float in the water for a minute or so:


Done! Simple, right?

Finished product isn't pretty but they sure do taste great in all kinds of soups and stews!


Dinner

Mixed greens with a garlic vinaigrette dressing:


And a bowl of Mrs. Grass chicken noodle soup:


With homemade dumplings, of course:



A very filling meal with loads of good memories attached:)

Question:

What dish do you like to eat when you are feeling under-the-weather?

2 comments:

  1. mmm dumplings. They make a soup dish so much more special. Hope you feel much much better. I'm with you- when I'm under the weather its all about soup or stew, usually with dry toast

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't necessarily go for soup, but I'll go for chili. Is that weird? It's just a major comfort food of mine because it reminds me of weekends at home in the fall and winter...

    ReplyDelete